Ukrainian Chicken Kiev
Here’s a real Kiev recipe, with seasoned butter rolled up in breaded chicken breasts for a richness fit for royalty! This is the way my mom would make this and it’s very traditional, and it is the best chicken Kiev you’ll ever have. After you make it a few times it’s a snap. You can adjust the flavors to taste. This recipe tastes great as leftovers also. This recipe takes a bit of time, but is well worth the effort.
- 8 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves 6 t0 8 0z.each
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 11/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup Panko bread crumbs = ½ cup regular breadcrumbs mixed
- 3 cups vegetable oil or use an electric deep fryer 340 F.
- 1/2 lemon, sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Place each chicken breast between a sheet of wax paper and pound, using a mallet or rolling pin, to about 1/8 inch thickness; be careful not to ‘break’ the chicken.
- To Make Seasoned Butter: In a small bowl combine the softened butter, 1/2 teaspoon pepper and 1 teaspoon garlic powder and mix well. Spread mixture into a 2×6 inch rectangle on a piece of aluminum foil; freeze until firm.
- After the butter is firm, cut into 8 equal size pieces and place one piece on each chicken breast. Fold in edges of chicken and roll to encase butter completely. Secure with toothpicks. Wrap and refrigerate until seasoned butter is very hard.
- In a small bowl, beat eggs with water. In a shallow dish or bowl, mix together the 1/4 teaspoon pepper, 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, dill weed and flour. Place bread crumbs in a separate shallow dish or bowl. Dip chicken rolls in seasoned flour, then egg mixture, then crumbs. Place coated chicken in a shallow dish, cover and refrigerate again for about 30 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat, or prepare deep fryer. When oil is hot, deep fry chicken rolls for about 5 minutes, then turn over and deep fry for another 5 minutes until golden and cooked through, with no pink showing inside. Drain on paper towels, remove the toothpicks garnish with lemon slices and parsley and serve.