All Tingly For Peppermint Oil
By Dr. Phoenyx Austin
Ok ladies, Phoenyx here- and today to chat a bit about one of my all-time favorite essential oilsâ€¦
Peppermint oil! Oooo, my scalpâ€™s getting all tingly from just saying it!
I really like this oil because it has so many wonderful benefits and uses- from hair to health.
So letâ€™s first start with the hair benefitsâ€¦ Did you know that peppermint oil can be used for:
- Scalp Health: Peppermint oil is a natural astringent and helps to balance your scalps acid mantle. It can also normalize sebum production and protect against oily skin.
- Hair Growth: Because of its ability to relax blood vessels and stimulate blood flow to hair follicles, peppermint oil has also been used to stimulate hair growth.
And now letâ€™s look at its general health benefitsâ€¦ Did you know that peppermint oil has been used for:
- Congestion: the menthol in peppermint oil can relieve the symptoms of the flu, colds, allergies, asthma and other respiratory conditions.
- Indigestion and Irritable Bowel Syndrome: can help to relieve nausea and upset stomach.
- Urinary Tract Infections: this oil has even been used for treating urinary tract infections (UTI).
Finally, if youâ€™re into aromatherapy then you should try peppermint oil for:
- Stress Relief: it has been used to induce relief from anxiety, stress, headache and depression.
I have a diffuser and like to regularly burn peppermint oil while I sleep- especially after a stressful day.
- Pain Relief: this oil has muscle relaxing effects and can be used directly on skin to relieve soreness and pain. Just add a few drops to a carrier oil like olive oil or sweet almond oil. Then massage into skin. Also make sure to relax and deeply inhale the aroma of the oil.
Do you use peppermint oil for your hair and your health? What are some of your favorite essential oils?
If youâ€™d like to send a comment/question to Dr. Phoenyx, you can find her on her Facebook and Twitter. Dr. Phoenyx Austin is a writer, media personality, and physician.